The team are asked to define the User Stories for an upcoming initiative.
- The team / organisation are undergoing an Agile transformation
- There is an expectation that the User Story template be followed
- The team believe they have already have lots of customer knowledge
- Product Owner has a strong engineering background
Create the stories based on the teams internal knowledge of the market and customer. Ensure that the User Story template is adhered to by just using “ The User” where ever it asks for who. When there is a requirement that is internal facing, use an internal stakeholder. e.g. “The Developers” for uprgading dependencies, or “The Product Owner” for internal reports and analytics.
- User Stories become a list of features and tasks that just need to be executed.
- There isn't scope to discuss alternative solutions because their isn't a shared understanding of exactly who needs the solution.
- The product ends up with too many features that aren't used or difficult to use
- Build a clear picture of the different User and Stakeholder personas.
- Focus on those Personas, the problems they have, and what solving those problems will do for them
- Bring the team together to create shared understanding and discuss options to solve those problems